Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Polar Bear Swim

In my opinion, I find the perception of boys and girls completely different. Each gender worries about different things, or doesn't worry at all. I feel that the girls that are participating in the polar bear swim are worried about not being tanned, being too fat, etc. Girls always worry about how they look, especially when a lot of your grad class is watching. They feel like everyone is judging them and staring at every move. One of the least worries for the girls that ARE taking place in this event, are the cold temperature of the lake. Girls feel this way and worry so much because society has made it that way. The causes vary from TV to magazines. We all watch TV and most of us compare ourselves to edited video or pictures of models in magazines. Although we've seen commercials displaying the edits being done, none of us really pay attention to that and still want to look like these fake people. Boys on the other hand aren't worried about being pale and not having a prefect body. From what I've heard they're not even worried about the cold water, they're ready to go. Many of the girls are too nervous to even put their toes in the lake, so I don't think many are doing it. Even some of the boys are too scared to do it, so it's not even really a grad event. A lot of my fellow grads that I talk to are poor sports. They don't feel like this is one of our last events as a grad class together before we graduate. We're supposed to unite and have fun, it may be cold but it would be a day to remember as a part of our grad year. I don't understand why everyone has to act like they're "too cool" for the annual grad polar bear swim. Personally, I know if I didn't participate in grad events I would regret it during the following years. I'm prepared for this cold event to take place!

No comments:

Post a Comment